Tuesday, October 11, 2016

X-Cards Are Moronic

X-Cards are moronic. If you are so fragile that your mental well being is threatened by Dungeons & Dragons or other role-playing games, you need serious help. Too harsh? Consider this absurd example from the comments at RPGPundit:

I've been in about 20 games with tools such as the X-card, Lines and Veils, and Open Door Policy. These are all tools to help people know they are supported in case something comes up. They have been used zero times in all of those games.

In a space horror type game I was running for 2 close friends (at home / private space), we had a situation come up where I suggested that a fungus had taken over our brains. One friend turned a bit pale, and requested a no-thank-you. If I had explained the X-card that game, that's what she would've grabbed (we had that discussion later). Turns out it was triggering due to some history (I didn't ask and didn't care). Main thing is I was supportive of retcon and changing the narrative to suit.

If mind-controlling space fungus is a trigger for you, you are ill. You don't need X-Cards, safewords, or guardrails; you need therapy. We hear a lot of talk about making the gaming community a more welcoming space these days. If this is what you mean, I want no part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment